The Short of It

  • SR-50 insurance is not actually insurance but a certificate that proves you have current liability coverage
  • An SR-50 is specific to the state of Indiana
  • You can add an SR-50 to your existing insurance policy, but not all insurance providers offer SR-50 insurance coverage

If you’re a licensed driver in the United States, then you’re probably already aware that a minimum amount of car insurance is legally required in all 50 states.

However, if you get in an accident and are convicted of driving without car insurance, a judge may order you to obtain an SR-22 or in the case of Indiana, an SR-50. Does this mean you need full coverage?

Keep reading below to learn what an SR-50 is, how it differs from an SR-22, and how you can get one. But before you do, enter your ZIP code into our free comparison tool to find affordable SR-50 insurance in your area today.

What is SR-50 insurance?

If you’ve been tasked with getting an SR-50, you may be wondering, “What is SR-50 insurance?”

Unfortunately, this is a common misconception. There is no such thing as SR-50 insurance. Instead, an SR-50 is a certificate that is attached to your car insurance policy that’s on file with the state government.

The SR-50 confirms you are carrying the state’s minimum liability auto insurance coverage. An SR-50 is specific to the state of Indiana; most states require you to get an SR-22 instead.

We’ll talk about the difference between an SR-50 and SR-22 in the next section.

What’s the difference between an SR-22 and an SR-50?

In most states, if you’re convicted of driving without insurance, driving without a valid license, or a DUI, you will have to obtain an SR-22 certificate.

The SR-22 certificate confirms you are meeting the state’s minimum car insurance requirements. It usually lasts about three years, and if you make it that long without another offense you can usually get rid of the SR-22.

The difference between an SR-22 and an SR-50 is that the SR-50 is only issued in the state of Indiana.

According to the state of Indiana’s government website:

The SR-22 form is used for proof of financial responsibility by drivers who have been convicted of an offense which requires the driver to maintain financial responsibility for a three-year period. An SR-22 must be filed with the BMV for three years from a date determined by the BMV.

The SR-50 form is used by a motorist to provide proof of current insurance to the BMV. The form shows the BMV the beginning and ending dates of the current policy.

So the main difference is that an SR-50 provides proof of current liability coverage while the SR-22 provides proof of current and future liability coverage.

How do you get an SR-50?

If you’ve recently been tasked with getting an SR-50 or an SR-22, don’t worry.

If you already have car insurance, call your insurance company and explain the situation. You won’t have to buy a new policy. Instead, your provider will simply add the SR-50 or SR-22 to your current policy and file the form with the state. You’ll also receive a copy for your records.

Insurance companies will usually charge you a one-time filing fee of around $25. However, the violation that leads to your SR-50 may significantly raise your car insurance rates.

If you don’t have car insurance, you’ll have to buy a new policy. However, not all companies offer SR-22 and SR-50 insurance.

Ready to buy SR-50 insurance? We can help you find affordable car insurance companies in your area. Simply enter your ZIP code into our free comparison tool below to get started finding car insurance quotes.