Here are 7 Tips On Reviewing Your Car Insurance Policy For Discounts
When it comes time to review your car insurance policy, you want to make sure you’re getting the most value for your money. For this reason, you’ll want to make sure you’re actually taking advantage of the many discounts your insurance provider has to offer.
Make sure multiple insurance policies are bundled with the same insurer
- Having home insurance and car insurance policies with different companies can be confusing and, most importantly, expensive. It’s usually a good idea to have multiple insurance policies under the same roof. Not only does it save money, but it also takes much of the complexity out of your claims, as well.
How many cars do you have insured?
- In addition to bundling several policies under one insurance provider, you can take advantage of additional discounts by having more than one vehicle insured under the same policy. If your family has a big vehicle fleet, you’ll be able to save hundreds of dollars per year through multi-car discounts.
Does your insurance offer alternative billing or payment options?
- If you choose to pay your annual premium up front instead of paying it over several months, you may be eligible to receive a small discount on your insurance rate. Taking advantage of convenience features such as automatic payment and paperless statements not only makes paying for your insurance easier, but your insurance provider may even offer an additional discount.
Do you have a “green” vehicle? It could be worth a discount
- Some car insurance providers offer significant discounts if you own and insure a hybrid or alternative fuel (electric, natural gas, etc.) vehicle. Keep in mind there may be restrictions on vehicle make and models, so it’s a good idea to check with your agent before applying for your discount.
What does your driving record look like? It could help you save money
- Insurance providers love low-risk drivers with driving records unblemished by accidents or speeding tickets, so much that they’ll offer you a sizable discount for keeping your driving record spotless.
Check to see if you happen to belong to any affinity groups
- Many insurance providers offer discounts to customers who are members of an association, club or group, such as an alumni association, fraternity or sorority. Your employer may even be one of those affinity groups that offer significant discounts for qualifying members. Check with your agent to see which groups qualify.
Have you considered taking a defensive driving course?
- Learning how to become a safer driver could help you get additional discounts on your car insurance. For instance, completing a defensive driving course could help lower your insurance rates. You’ll also gain plenty of helpful skills that’ll keep you and your passengers safe on the road.