Auto Insurance Companies That Accept Rideshare
As a rideshare driver, your primary auto insurance policy doesn’t protect you while working, so you must get proper coverage. If you’re looking for auto insurance companies that accept rideshare, the prices are probably lower than you think.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Apr 12, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- The liability insurance provided by rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft leaves gaps in your coverage
- You can protect yourself by purchasing quality rideshare insurance
- Many insurers offer this coverage as an add-on, and some policies start at less than $1 per day
Driving for a rideshare company can be an excellent way to supplement or replace your income. Before you start, you need to ensure that you have the proper levels of insurance coverage. Standard auto insurance plans do not cover rideshare drivers while they’re working, and the insurance provided by companies like Uber or Lyft leaves much to be desired.
This article will explore the best auto insurance companies that accept rideshare. We’ll look at the ratings and coverage options and explore the helpful features that make these companies an intelligent choice for rideshare drivers.
What are the best auto insurance companies that accept rideshare?
Since your primary auto insurance plan won’t cover you during working hours, you must secure proper coverage. The best rideshare insurance companies offer flexible and affordable options to protect yourself while driving for work.
When compiling this list, we considered various factors and prioritized companies that offer affordable, quality coverage to rideshare drivers.
USAA Rideshare Insurance
USAA auto insurance is well-known and respected. The company provides quality coverage and boasts high ratings from third-party reviewers.
Advantages of USAA:
- Customer satisfaction. Customers and third-party reviewers highly rate USAA. The company currently holds an A++ rating with A.M. Best.
- Full coverage options. Comprehensive coverage is available to rideshare drivers.
- Affordable. USAA offers affordable coverage, with rates as low as $6 a month.
- Flexible. You can add rideshare coverage to your primary policy with flexible deductibles.
Disadvantages of USAA:
- Limited eligibility. USAA insurance is only available to active duty or retired military personnel and their families.
- Limited availability. The company does not provide coverage in all states.
USAA’s rideshare insurance is an add-on to your primary policy, covering both delivery and rideshare drivers.
Mercury Rideshare Insurance
Mercury car insurance is an excellent choice for rideshare drivers because it provides you with the same level of protection no matter how many passengers you’re carrying.
Advantages of Mercury:
- Affordable. Mercury’s rideshare coverage plans start as low as $0.90 per day.
- Works with most companies. You can use Mercury rideshare insurance with most Transportation Network Companies (TNC).
- Full coverage options. Mercury offers full coverage to ensure that your vehicle is protected if you’re involved in an accident.
Disadvantages of Mercury:
- Limited availability. Mercury auto insurance is only available in nine states.
- No online claims. Although Mercury’s claims process is well-rated, you cannot file a claim online.
Mercury is an excellent choice for Uber drivers. With Mercury rideshare insurance, you receive the same coverage carrying one passenger as you do when carrying many passengers through Uber Pool.
Allstate Rideshare Insurance
Allstate auto insurance is another excellent choice for rideshare drivers and Lyft drivers.
Advantages of Allstate:
- Availability. Allstate’s rideshare insurance is available in most states.
- Deductible GAP coverage. Allstate’s rideshare insurance includes $2,500 of deductible GAP coverage, eliminating the need to pay Lyft’s deductible.
Disadvantages of Allstate:
- Must be an existing customer. You must have an active auto policy with Allstate to qualify for its rideshare insurance.
Allstate’s rideshare insurance is an affordable option for many drivers, and you can bundle it with other discounts and coverage plans.
Progressive Rideshare Insurance
Progressive auto insurance is an excellent option for drivers looking for insurance with lots of extra features.
Advantages of Progressive:
- Extra features and add-ons. Your personal policy add-ons, such as roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement, apply while driving for a TNC.
- Availability. Progressive insurance is available in most states.
- Full coverage options. Progressive rideshare insurance provides options for collision and comprehensive coverage.
Disadvantages of Progressive:
- Expensive. Progressive is one of the more costly options for rideshare insurance.
- Online purchasing is unavailable. You cannot buy a rideshare insurance plan online with Progressive.
While you can’t purchase coverage online, Progressive does offer the ability to file claims electronically, and the company is known for its quality mobile application. Progressive’s policy covers delivery and rideshare drivers.
Farmers Rideshare Insurance
Farmers auto insurance is an excellent option for drivers who value an easy claims process.
Advantages of Farmers:
- Excellent claims process. Farmers is well-known for its outstanding claims process and is rated above average by J.D. Power for claims satisfaction.
- Works with most companies. With Farmers’ rideshare insurance, you get coverage for most TNCs.
- Delivery and rideshare driver coverage. Farmers’ rideshare insurance protects you while delivering food or packages and carrying passengers.
Disadvantages of Farmers:
- Limited coverage area. Farmers’ rideshare insurance is only available in 36 states.
- Must work with an agent. You have to call and speak with an agent to purchase coverage through Farmers, and online information is limited.
Farmers also offers a hybrid policy for Uber drivers in 15 states.
State Farm Rideshare Insurance
State Farm auto insurance is an excellent option for rideshare drivers who drive for multiple companies.
Advantages of State Farm:
- Works with all companies. No matter what TNC you drive for, State Farm’s rideshare insurance will cover you.
- Matching coverages. Your personal policy coverages will carry over to your rideshare plan, so you’re always protected.
- Easy claims process. You can file your claims online or through the State Farm mobile app.
Disadvantages of State Farm:
- Expensive. State Farm’s prices are generally higher than its competitors.
- Limited coverage in some areas. Not all of State Farm’s coverage options are available in every state.
State Farm rideshare insurance typically raises rates between 15% and 20%. You must speak with an agent to add rideshare protection to your policy.
GEICO Rideshare Insurance
GEICO car insurance is a well-known option from a highly-rated company. GEICO is unique among the companies listed here because it offers a hybrid plan that covers you while working and while driving your car for personal use.
Advantages of GEICO:
- Hybrid policy. GEICO’s hybrid plan covers personal driving and rideshare driving.
- Affordable deductibles. The company offers deductibles as low as $250.
- Full coverage options. GEICO’s hybrid rideshare plan offers you a wide range of coverage options, including collision and comprehensive.
Disadvantages of GEICO:
- Expensive. GEICO’s rates are often more expensive than competitors.
GEICO’s hybrid plan covers you, your household, passengers, and vehicle damage.
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Uber and Lyft Rideshare Insurance
Most TNCs like Uber and Lyft provide some insurance coverage to drivers. However, it generally only includes liability coverage and doesn’t apply during all work hours.
Liability coverage only pays for damages and injuries you cause to another person. So, if you’re injured, or your vehicle gets damaged in an accident while driving for a TNC, you could be left paying the bills yourself.
You must have a quality rideshare insurance plan to protect yourself in this case.
How does rideshare insurance work?
When working as a rideshare driver, your time and activity get divided into four phases. You must understand these phases because they determine how your insurance works and when you’re covered.
Phases Phase Meaning Coverage
Phase 0 Off duty, app is off Your personal policy covers you
Phase 1 Available, app is on but you’re waiting for a customer Your personal policy and company liability do not cover you
Phase 2 En route, you’ve accepted a customer and are on your way Company insurance covers you
Phase 3 On Trip, customer is in your car Company insurance is in full effect
Phase two is generally the problem area. During this phase, you can see a gap in your insurance coverage, where rideshare insurance is critical.
By adding quality rideshare insurance to your primary plan, you can protect yourself during this coverage gap.
Your rideshare coverage will provide greater protection during phases three and four. Since the company policies only provide you with liability coverage, having a quality rideshare insurance policy is an excellent way to protect yourself and your vehicle.
Auto Insurance Companies That Accept Rideshare: Final Thoughts
Your personal auto insurance plan does not cover you while driving for rideshares like Uber or Lyft, so you must acquire additional protection.
Rideshare companies typically provide basic liability insurance to drivers. However, this coverage leaves gaps in your protection, and it will not pay for your medical bills or vehicle repairs if you’re in an accident.
Quality rideshare insurance is the solution to this problem. By filling the gaps left by TNC company insurance, you can ensure you have protection at all times.